Cathedral Of Christ The King Rectory
Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King is a Roman Catholic church in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. The Cathedral was consecrated on December 19, 1933. It is the seat of the Bishop of the Diocese of Hamilton, and the cathedral of the Diocese of Hamilton. The cathedral contains the cathedra (bishop's chair) of bishop the most Rev. Douglas Crosby D.D. OMI. Bishop Crosby, the Hamilton diocese's 9th bishop, celebrated the 13th year of ordination as a bishop on Sunday January 2, 2011, the Solemnity of the Epiphany of our Lord. Bishop Anthony Tonnos, bishop of the diocese of Hamilton, officially retired on Nov. 8th, 2010, the date of the installation of Bishop Crosby. He had served as bishop for a total of 27 years in the diocese. Retired auxiliary bishop Matthew Ustrzycki, still continues to be active in the diocese along with Bishop emeritis Tonnos. Former auxiliary bishop Gerard Bergie has been named bishop of St. Catharines, Ontario. A new auxiliary bishop of Hamilton has been appointed by pope Benedict XVI in the person of Fr. Daniel Miehm. His consecration will take place in the near future.The cathedral was raised to the status of a minor basilica on February 2013 by Pope Benedict XVI.
On the south side of the bell tower, is the cornerstone blessed by Bishop McNally, builder of the Cathedral and fifth bishop of the diocese. It is a stone excavated from the Roman Catacombs to symbolize the cathedral's unity with the ancient Christian church, the first generation after Christ.